Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Waive and Wave are Homonyms For a Reason, Me Thinks!

Anyone that truly knows me, knows I'm not a legal novice. Call into evidence two of my favorite shows on TV: "Judge Judy" and "People's Court". Well- and "Law & Order" and "Law & Order, SVU" not withstanding.

I get correspondence from an attorney on a legal matter, in my email no less. Part of the correspondence is requesting me to sign a waiver of rights. Um.. no. Not without some discussion, I'm not. As my title suggests, waive and wave are homonyms for a reason.

Without clear understanding of what rights exactly I am waiving and the ramifications of doing so, this just ain't happening. This chick is not blindly waving buh-bye to her legal rights. As much as I want this chapter closed, I'm not naive enough to do so impatiently and impetuously.

Now- why am I even blogging about this?

Well, because as much as I've been disappointed, the depths to which a lack of my intelligence has been insinuated is just flippin' obnoxious. This particular instance is but one of many initiated by a nameless party. For someone who claimed to have known me very well, it's clearly evident that was not the case.

On what planet did this person ever think I'd quietly (and calmly for that matter, LOL) sign such a ridiculous piece of paper? Gah.. just Gah. So- legal eagle that I am, I calmly (yes, I can be calm after the cuss words have spewed and my emotions have been called back into check) emailed the attorney stating my case and why I'm questioning the waiver (and other aspects of the forementioned correspondence).

I want this chapter closed. I want my dignity as well. I'm confident both can be achieved.

As for the other party... fair winds and following seas.

No comments:

Post a Comment